Home' Auckland City Harbour News : March 11th 2011 Contents 5
AUCKLAND CITY HARBOUR NEWS, MARCH 11, 2011
0508 CONNECT (266 6328)
A contraflow will be in place from 5am to 8pm, Saturday 12 and
Sunday 13 March, limiting Broadway to one lane each way.
All local shops and businesses will remain open as normal.
Vehicle access to Mahuru St will be available from Nuffield St.
Pedestrians are asked to stay on footpaths and take extra care
when crossing Broadway over this weekend.
Broadway will be closed completely from 8pm to 5am
underneath the viaduct on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday
nights. Please follow the clearly marked overnight detours.
The NZTA apologises for the disruption these roadworks may
cause, and thanks all local businesses and residents for their
ongoing support and cooperation.
View project footage: www.youtube.com
Keyword Newmarket Connection
Newmarket Connection: Viaduct Replacement Project
Roadworks on Broadway this weekend
Register for updates:
The deconstruction team is planning to lower
a segment down next to Broadway on Sunday
morning. For more details on the timing of
this event, please check the news feed on the
project's website on or after Saturday March 11.
Music by Piazzolla, Ian Munro and Saint-Saëns
Friday 25 March, 8pm
Auckland Town Hall | THE EDGE
Free pre-concert talk at 7pm
Tickets $85 A Res | $65 B Res | $40 C Res | Child (school age) $10
Student Rush $15 on the day (ID req, B Res)
Book at THE EDGE | ph 0800 BUY TICKETS (289 842)
www.buytickets.co.nz | service fees apply
Supported by ASB Community Trust
For full tour programme, bio and details of
CMNZ's 2011 Kaleidoscopes Concert Season,
Dazzling. Mesmerising. Unmissable.
EXPERIENCE THE INTIMACY OF
LIVE CHAMBER MUSIC
INTENSE, IN CONCERT
Penrose blaze an accident
A fire which gutted a
Penrose car parts factory
last month started acci-
The Neilson St
address was left in an
irreparable state after
fire ripped through the
building on the night of
Fire safety investi-
gator Russell Dickson
says inspectors had
found it was an electrical
event that started in a
Power outages hit city businesses
Costly exercise:Technical consultant Cliff Tyler has been called to help a number of media production businesses in Sale St and around Freemans Bay after a series
of power cuts and outages. He says problems have increased since Victoria Park tunnel work began.
Photo: JASON OXENHAM
By RHIANNON HORRELL
Businesses in Sale St and around
Freemans Bay are hoping the worst
is over after a series of costly power
spikes and outages.
Computer equipment like servers,
motherboards and iMac computers
have been affected.
Flying Start Pictures producer
Tony Vernal has been told by Vector
it s a feed outage problem. He says
it has worsened because of the work
on the Victoria Park tunnel.
This area has always been badly
serviced by power. But it s been sub-
stantially worse since the tunnel
In Freemans Bay over the last
year there has been an inconsistent
power supply. On February 11 a
cable blew on Vernon St -- it shut a
lot of the businesses down.
There s heavy equipment digging
holes under the park. I m sure they
will have complications.
He also says the old building he
works in doesn t help the situation.
The spike last year knocked out
servers, burned motherboards --
there was some server damage.
Virtually everyone I ve spoken to
has been affected.
Technical consultant Cliff Tyler
has been working weekends to deal
with the aftermath of power
failures. He says iMacs and
MacBook Pros have been affected
and the problem has required repro-
gramming of video suite equipment.
It s mainly the time loss in doing
work. It s just become so regular
from my perspective.
The frequency has gone up since
tunnel work began. The frequency
of me being called on to sort out
power failures has increased mark-
edly. The increase in needing to
attend has gone up 50 to 60
Vector external communications
manager Philippa White says there
have been some disruptions.
There is a great deal of upgrade
work under way in the area to
reinforce the electricity supply and
cables are being replaced. There
have been three underground cable
outages over the last year which
lasted about an hour and half each.
We do not believe this to be
linked to the tunnel. The power
supply for the construction of the
tunnel is temporary and is no
greater than that required for other
construction sites of this size.
Ms White says voltage readings
in December at one business
showed no problem with the supply.
We appreciate the frustration
outages are causing to customers
and the works we are undertaking
will improve the reliability of
supply. We are also upgrading high
voltage cables within Ponsonby and
Victoria Park Alliance stake-
holder manager Darren Utting says
it is unlikely tunnel work would
cause the cuts.
We use a temporary builder s
power supply which sits next to the
Campbell Free Kindergarten. This
accommodates the extra power
required for our site compounds.
Mr Utting says the power bill for
construction is between $2000 and
$2500 a month, including the offices
and four site compounds between
the harbour bridge and Wellington
Links Archive March 9th 2011 March 16th 2011 Navigation Previous Page Next Page